Advent 2 – Political Jesus
Theme: Political Jesus –“And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.””
Warm-Up Questions: Who is the most powerful person you have ever met? What were the circumstances?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Political Jesus always disappoints because he seeks ultimate satisfaction in short-term victories instead of a long-term view of the Kingdom of God. The Jesus of Scripture offers a final consummation of Heaven on Earth and enlists His people as future kings and queens of the universe.
Read Matthew 6:19-21
- What does Jesus tell us to avoid doing and why (verse 19)?
- What does Jesus tell us to do instead that is preferred (verse 20)?
- How does what we do reflect how we are really trusting God (verse 21)?
Read John 19:10-12
- What does Pilate state as true about his power over Jesus (verse 10)?
- How does Jesus respond to Pilate regarding his power (verse 11)?
- What did the Jews cry out that finally convinced Pilate to crucify Jesus (verse 12)?
Read I Timothy 6:15-17
- What does Paul say about who God is and how long He reigns (verse 15)?
- How does Paul describe the way God exists and who has known Him (verse 16)?
- Why is it important we trust in God and not earthly riches (verse 17)?
- What of all you learned about avoiding a political Jesus encourages you most?
- When might you share this exciting aspect of your faith with someone this week?
Almighty God, since You are the ultimate authority in all the world and we have, in Jesus, been called to extend the Kingdom of God in the world, help us to look to You alone for our hope.
Talk and Pray
Talk with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back.
Pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.