Transforming Power – Community
“And let us take thought of how to spur one another on to love and good works,… but encouraging each other, and even more so because you see the day drawing near.”
Warm-Up Question: Think about what it has meant to you to have the encouragement and support of others within your circle of Christian friends. What is the most important aspect?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Numbers 14: 1-11 The Negative Power of Community
- What had caused the Israelites to be so upset with Moses (See 13:30-33) (verses 1-2)?
- How did the people choose to respond when they heard Caleb’s assessment (verses 3-4)?
- How did Moses, Joshua and Caleb respond to the people’s complaint (verses 5-6)?
- How did they describe the land that they had spied out (verses 7-8)?
- Of what did they try to remind the people regarding the people of the land (verse 9)?
- What was God’s response to the community as they stood against Moses (verses 10-11)?
- Application: How might you have altered the negative actions of the community as described?
Read Jeremiah 35:1-9, 18-19 The Supportive Power of Community
- How was Jeremiah directed to test the Rechabite community (verses 1-5)?
- What had the descendants of Jonadab been told not to do (verses 6-7)?
- What had the descendants of Jonadab actually done over the years (verses 8-9)?
- How did God view what they had done in their lives (verses 18-19)?
- Application: How has the obedience of the community around you helped you do “right?”
Read Hebrews 10:15-25 The Transforming Power of Community
- What has the Holy Spirit done for us in regard to our hearts and our sins (verse 15-18)?
- What do we now have confidence to do because of the blood of Jesus (verse 19-22)?
- How does holding on to our hope help encourage the community? (verse 23-25)
- Application: What steps can you take to encourage someone in the faith?
- This next week, consider that you could be a living example of good news for someone.
- After you have lived out the good news to people, how might you speak the Good News?
Heavenly Father, thank You that in Christ You make us new creations in Christ, You forgive us our sins, write your laws on our hearts and transform us by the community in which you place us.
Talk and Pray
Talk with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back.
Pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.