Small Group Weekly Bible Study
Greater Than -1 – “Then the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good
tidings of great joy which will be to all people.’”
Theme: Joy is Greater than Fear – How can we identify fear and choose to live more from a
place of joy?
Warm-Up Question: Share an experience in your life when you were really fearful.
How has your faith in Christ helped you become more joyful?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Psalm 5:11-12
- Why does the Psalmist call us to be joyful in the LORD (verse 11)?
- How will God reward those who are joyful and trust in Him (verse 12)?
- In what ways do you think this might be profitable for you to practice (verses 11-12)?
Read Luke 1:13-15
- Why do you think Zacharias felt fear when he encountered the angel Gabriel (verse 13)?
- Which of the statements that Gabriel made were hardest to believe (verses 13-15)?
- How was the joy of what was to happen somehow greater than his fear (verses 13-15)?
Read Luke 2:8-12, 20
- What time of year and day was it in Bethlehem (verse 8)?
- How do the shepherds respond when they observe some amazing sights (verse 9)?
- What is the first thing that the angel says to the shepherds (verse 10)?
- What are they instructed to do so they can verify that the angels are real (verses 11-12)?
- How do they respond after they find the baby Jesus (verses 20)?
- Why did their joyful hearts no longer fear what they had observed earlier?
Read Acts 20:23-24
- What was the Apostle Paul told would happen to him in Jerusalem (verse 23)?
- How did he respond when he learned of what awaited him (verse 24)?
- Why does he say he will be able to endure whatever happens (verse 24)?
- How might you identify those areas of fear that are present in your life?
- What can you do in your daily life to make joy a greater part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: Father, help us to be a joyful people, always looking to You for the power we need to
make the choice of joy in Jesus as our alternative whenever we are afraid.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives
this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
Describe why Zacchaeus might have been afraid of the people of Jericho (Luke 19:1-2)?
What do you think was the real reason he climbed into the sycamore tree (Luke 19:3-4)?
What was one of the first things Jesus did when he came into the town? How do you think Zacchaeus felt when Jesus stopped and looked up at him (Luke 19:5)?
How did Zacchaeus respond and what evidence is there of his changed heart (Luke 19:6, 8)?
How was Jesus able to do what He did for us at Calvary (Hebrews 12:2)?
Share an experience from your life that reflects how you had joy in your heart.
Prayer: Father, help us to again remember that You desire that we look to the joy set before us
in Christ, never fearing the situations we face. AMEN.