Small Group Weekly Bible Study
Prayer – 3 – “For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the
Lord does the church. “
Theme: 21 Days of Prayer – Week 3 – Prayer and the Church
“Prayer is the open admission that without Christ we can do nothing. Prayer is an expression of
faith in God’s power, fueled by a desire for more of Him.”
Warm-Up Questions: What is one of your fondest early memories of church?
Why do you think that most people who attend church do so?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Acts 2:41-47
- What did you notice about the early church in Jerusalem (verse 41)?
- What four things were characteristic of the church in Jerusalem (verse 42)?
- What effect did what they were doing have on what happened here (verse 43)?
- What did the members of the church decide to do with their possessions (verse 44)?
- How did the early church conduct itself outside of their meetings (verse 45)?
- How often did they meet together to praise and worship God (verse 46)?
- What was one result of their daily activities as the Body of Christ (verse 47)?
Read Acts 9:31
- What did you notice about the early church outside Jerusalem (verse 31)?
Read Colossians 3:12-17
- Which of the things you are called to be is most significant to you (verse 12)?
- What do you find the most challenging in the things you are called to do (verse 13)?
- What do you think Paul meant by the use of the term “bond of perfection” (verse 14)?
- Why is it that we find it so difficult for us to do what is asked for here (verse15)?
- How can you “let the word of God dwell in you richly” (verse 16)?
- What would it look like in your life if you did what this verse says (verse 17)?
- How can you pray more earnestly for God’s purposes at King of Kings?”
- What can you do in your daily life to make praying for our church part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, please give us a heart of concern for our church and help us to see it
as part of the larger Body of Christ to accomplish Your will in this city.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives
this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
Read Hebrews 10: 19 -25.
What is the primary thing that should give us confidence to come to God (Hebrews 10:19)?
What else does the writer of Hebrews tell us has already happened for us (Hebrews 10:20-22)?
Why are we told that we should hold on unwaveringly to our confession (Hebrews 10:23)?
What is one purpose for the gathering of the church as the Body of Christ (Hebrews 10:24-25)?
Share an experience from your life that reflects how prayer worked in your life at church.
Prayer: Father, give us the confidence in Your willingness to hear the prayers of your people as
we gather in Christ’s name here at King of Kings so that we are diligent to pray.