Small Group Weekly Bible Study
Breakthrough -2 – “So if someone cleanses himself…, he will be a vessel for honor use, set apart, useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.”
Theme: The Breakthrough Two-Step
Step one: A step back that starts with consecration, setting something apart for sacred or divine purposes and includes repentance, a turning away from past ways
Step two: A big step forward of trust.
1. What is the process you have to follow to use a bow and arrow to shoot at a target?
- How important would you say it is to you to precisely follow the steps of a recipe?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Leviticus 20: 23 – 26
- What did you notice about how God felt about what was going on (verse 23)?
- How hard do you think it was it for the Israelites to be so different (verses 24-25)?
- Why did God say they were to behave in just such a manner (verse 26)?
Read Joshua 3: 11 – 15
- What was it in Joshua’s words that would have inspired you (verses 11-13)?
- How did the priests show that they trusted in the words of the LORD (verses 14-15)?
Read John 2: 1 – 10
- Why do you think Jesus reacted the way He did to Mary’s statement (verse 3)?
- Who do you think was more surprised, the servants or the head steward (verses 6-10)?
Read Luke 5: 36 – 38
- What do you think Jesus was trying to say using these two analogies (verse 36-37)?
- Why do you think it is so important to repent (forsake) old behaviors (verse 38)?
- Where is God calling you to take a big step forward this week?
- In what area of your life do you need to take your eyes off of how big the enemy and put them on how big God is?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, please give us the willingness to repent of our old ways, to consecrate ourselves for Your use, and trust You to accomplish all You have set for us to do.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about and personal concerns or praises you have.
Read Matthew 14: 13 – 21.
Why do you think Jesus went away by Himself at this time (Matthew 14: 13-14)?
How do you think you would have related to Jesus’ response to the disciples’ assessment
of the situation (Matthew 14: 15-17)?
What do you believe you would have had the hardest time believing (Matthew 14: 18-19)?
Why did Jesus have the disciples pick up all the scattered remnants of the feeding miracle
(Matthew 14: 20)?
Share from your life a time that reflects your experience with the “Breakthrough two-step.”
Prayer: Father, give us the desire to see a breakthrough in our lives, to be willing to step back from our old ways of doing things so we can step forward to enjoy all You have for us.