Small Group Weekly Bible Study
Parables – 4 – “” Am I not permitted to do what I want with what belongs to me? Or are you envious because I am generous?’ So, the last will be first, and the first last.””
Theme: Now and forever, life with Jesus solely depends on His unearned favor.
Describe a time in your life when you got ripped off by someone else.
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Romans 3:23, 4:4, 6:23
- What do you think of Paul’s statement, “We all fall short of God’s glory” (Romans 3:23)?
- What did you notice about how grace and wages differ (Romans 4:4)?
- What do you have now that Jesus has died that you did not earn (Romans 6:23)?
Read Romans 11:17-19
1. Why do you think Paul is using the analogy of an olive tree here (verse 17)?
2. How were some of the Gentile Christians trying to portray themselves (verse 18)?
3. Of what does Paul remind them to answer their boasting (verse 19)?
Read Galatians 6:12-14
1. How were some of the Jewish Christians trying to protect themselves (verses 12-13)?
2. What difference does what Paul says he will boast about make (verse 14)?
Read Ephesians 2:8-10
- How does grace through faith work regarding your salvation (verse 8)?
- What do you think Paul meant by “not by works, lest anyone should boast” (verse 9)?
- What is true about why you and I were created that takes away pride (verse 10)?
- In his sermon Sunday, Tyler said, “Jesus wants to protect us from growing proud of what we’ve done for God.” When might this have been true in your life?
- Why do you think Solomon included pride, greed and envy in his list of deadly sins?
- Where do you see yourself prone to glory in your own religious accomplishments?
- What can you do as part of your daily lifestyle to avoid comparing yourself to others?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, please give us the eyes of faith that we need to look not at what we have done for You, but to glory only in what You have done for us through Jesus Christ.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
Read Matthew 19:16-30.
How important to you is the answer Jesus gives to the rich young man (Matthew 19:16-22)?
Why do you think the disciples were so astonished by Jesus’ statement (Matthew 19:23-25)?
What was Jesus really trying to get the disciples to see as He talked with them (Matthew 19:26)?
How would you summarize what Jesus is talking about with the disciples (Matthew 19:27-29)?
What would you say is one thing that is implied by Jesus’ final words here (Matthew 19:30)?
Share an experience that reflects how getting your eyes off Jesus has worked in your life.
Prayer: Father, help us put our confidence in Jesus’ accomplished work for us and let us not get distracted by what others have accomplished or even what we may have done for You.