Small Group Weekly Bible Study
Renovation – 3 – “If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and thus has righteousness and with the mouth one confesses and thus has salvation. “
Theme: “Who do you say I am?”
Describe how the title someone holds defines the role they are expected to play?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Mark 8:27-38
- Why do you think Jesus asked the disciples who people said He was and what was significant about the different responses he received? (verses 27-28)?
- What was so surprising about Peter’s response to Jesus’ question (verse 29)?
- Why do you think Jesus directed them not to say anything to anyone (verse 30)?
- What is it about Peter’s next statement that makes it so unusual (verse 32)?
- Why does the way Jesus addresses Peter surprise you (verse 33)?
- How do you see this teaching of Jesus relating to what just took place (verses 34-38)?
Read Matthew 5:13-14
1. What does the way Matthew describes Christians say to you (verses 13-14)?
2. How might Matthew’s challenging words begin to work to renovate your life?
- What was most challenging to you from Mike White’s sermon on Sunday morning about Peter’s bold declaration that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God?
- How are you going to trust God to continue His renovation project in you this week?
- What can you do in your daily life to make Jesus’ Lordship part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, please help us to submit to the Lordship of Jesus over all of our life, so that Your renovation of our lives can become a complete reality for us.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
Read Philippians 2:1-8, 12-16.
What do you find most challenging in the way Paul opens this section (Philippians 2:1-2)?
What is one thing Paul includes that you might incorporate into your life? (Philippians 2:3-4)?
How does the way Paul uses the example of Jesus reinforce His point (Philippians 2:5-8)?
Why does Paul say it is important our behavior shines as lights in the world (Philippians 2:12-16)?
Share about a time when you found someone else’s example of Christianity oppressive to you.
Prayer: Father, show us how we can follow Jesus’ example to renovate our thinking so that all we do reflects the inner reality of the Holy Spirit dwelling within us.