BAPTIZED – Week 1
“But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.””
Theme: “One of the Greatest Days in Your Life”
Describe how you felt when you drove out of the driveway on your own for the first time?
What is most challenging to you from Pastor Mark’s sermonon Sunday morning when you think about being baptized?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Matthew 3:1-6
- Why do you think John was sent to the wilderness to declare his message (verse 1)?
- Why did John say “repent,” if it means “to have a change of mind” (verse 2)?
- How did what John was doing prepare the way for Jesus (verse 3)?
- Why do you think John dressed and acted as peculiarly as he did(verse 4)?
- What words describe just how effective his ministry was becoming (verses 5-6)?
Read Matthew 3:13-17
- What is one thing that stands out to you as you see Jesus coming to John (verse 13)?
- Why do you think John protested to Jesus about baptizing Him (verse 14)?
- How does Jesus’ assurance resonate with you as you think about it (verse 15)?
- What was God trying to do by saying what He did about Jesus (verses 16–17)?
- How does considering all that Jesus is, what He has done and is doing,help you?
Read 2 Corinthians 5:20-21
- Why did Paul address his audience in the special way that he did (verse 20)?
- How does what they are told here relate to their (and our) high calling (verse 21)?
- Why do you think they (we) were given such a reminder (verses 20-21)?
- How does this great exchange of your sin and Christ’s righteousness work for you?
- How are you going to make your baptismal truths more real in your lifethis week?
- What can you do to make God’s repeated call to follow Him a bigger part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, please enable us to understand the magnitude of the truths spoken over us at our baptism, so we can easily imagine how great Your love really is for us in Jesus.
Talk & Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
What is your immediate reaction to the quote: “Do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?”
Read Romans 6:4
Read Romans 6:5-6
Why does Paul say it is important for our faith that we are confident in our baptism?
Read Romans 6:7-11
How might you do what Paul says regarding the overcoming of the pull of sin on your life?
Read Titus 3:4-6
Why do you think Paul reminds Titus and us of all we have as a result of your baptism?
Read 1 John 3:1-3
How might you let this truth John states be more active in maintaining a good self-image?
Share about when you would consider to be one of the best days of you life. Why?
Prayer: Father, help us recognize how our baptism was the beginning of our new life in Christ, a life where we have Christ’s righteousness as our own, now and for all eternity.