BAPTIZED – Week 2
“But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you shall be My witnesses…”
Theme: “Addressing the Leak”
Describe a time when you realized you were driving with a “slow Leak” in one of your tires?
What is most challenging to you from Pastor Mark’s sermon when you think about how often you leak spiritually although you have been baptized with the Holy Spirit?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read John 20:21-22
- How do you think you would have felt if you were one of the disciples (verse 21)?
- Why do you suppose Jesus repeated, “Peace be with you” twice (verses 21-22)?
- How did Jesus impart the Holy Spirit to the disciples (verse 22)?
- Would you agree that, like the disciples, you need fresh touches of the Holy Spirit?
Read Acts 1:4-8
- What is one thing that stands out to you as you see Jesus with the disciples (verse 4)?
- Why do you think Jesus reminded them about being baptized (verse 5)?
- How does Jesus’ assurance resonate with you as you think about the future (verses 6-7)?
- What did Jesus say would result from being baptized with the Holy Spirit (verse 8)?
- How might all that Jesus said help you as you talk with others about faith in God?
Read Acts 2:1-4, 17-18
- What of all that happened would have frightened you the most (verses 1-3)?
- Why do you think they were given such a dramatic demonstration (verses 1-4)?
- How was what happened a fulfillment of Joel’s prophecy from long ago (verses 17-18)?
- What is one thing that you can take away from the description of Pentecost morning?
- How are you going to make your Holy Spirit baptism more real in your life this week?
What can you do to make God’s repeated filling of the Holy Spirit a bigger part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, breathe on us anew the presence of the Holy Spirit that we may be filled with His power and be better witnesses of the new life in Christ Jesus You have given us.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
What is your immediate reaction to the quote: “Water baptism is a ONE–TIME EVENT.
Being filled with the Holy Spirit is an ONGOING JOURNEY?”
Read Ephesians 5:15-17.
What do you find most challenging in the way Paul addresses his readers about their walk?
Read Ephesians 5:18.
Why does Paul use the image of drunkenness to convey the truth about the Holy Spirit?
Read Ephesians 5:19-20.
How might you improve what Paul says regarding the effects of having the Holy Spirit?
Read Luke 11:11-12.
Why do you think Jesus reminds us three times about how a good father responds to
his child’s request?
Read Luke 11:13.
What is hindering you from asking the Father for the Holy Spirit to be more of your life?
Share about a time when you were aware of the Holy Spirit actively working in your life?
Prayer:Father, help us recognize that though we have received the Holy Spirit in our baptism, the power of His presence often leaks out and we need Your refreshing touch.