BAPTIZED – Week 3
“God does not show favoritism in dealing with people, but in every nation the person who fears Him and does what is right is welcomed before Him….””
Theme: “2 Men, 2 Visions, 2 Transformed Mindsets”
Would your friends and family consider you to be open-minded or close-minded? Explain.
What is most challenging to you from Pastor Leroy’s sermon when you think about how often you have to confront your own prejudices and narrow-mindedness?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Acts 10:1-8 – Man #1, Vision #1
- How do you think you would have felt if you were Cornelius (verses 1-2)?
- Why do you suppose the angel of God appeared to him in a vision (verses 3-4)?
- What would you have found strange in what the angel told him to do (verses 5-6)?
- What do you think Cornelius may have been thinking at this point (verses 7-8)??
Read Acts 10:9-22 – Man #2, Vision #2
- What is one thing that stands out to you as you see Peter’s vision (verses 9-11)?
- Why do you think God included so many different creatures (verse 12)?
- How does Peter’s reluctance resonate with you as you think about your life (verses 13-16)?
- What do you think Peter was thinking when the men showed up at his door (verse 17-22)?
Read Acts 10: 23-33– Man #1, Man #2
- What of all that happened next would have surprised you the most (verses 23-27)?
- How do we know that Peter had experienced a transformation (verses 28-29)?
- Why do you think they were given such a dramatic demonstration (verses 30-32)?
- How was what happened next a confirmation of what Peter had been shown (verse 33)?
- What is one thing that you can take away from the story of Peter and Cornelius?
- How are you going to allow the Holy Spirit to challenge your thinking this week?
- What can you do to make God’s call to consider new possibilities a bigger part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: HeavenlyFather, expand our horizons as we consider all we have received in our baptism so the Holy Spirit can empower us to be open to new possibilities for the Gospel.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
What is your immediate reaction to the quote: “About Him all the prophets testify, that
everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins through His name?”
Read Ephesians 5:15-17
What do you find most challenging in the way Paul addresses his readers about their walk?
Read Ephesians 5:18
Why does Paul use the image of drunkenness to convey the truth about the Holy Spirit?
Read Ephesians 5:19-20
How might you improve what Paul says regarding the effects of having the Holy Spirit?
Read Luke 11:11-12
Why do you think Jesus reminds us three times about how a good father responds to
his child’s request?
Read Luke 11:13
What is hindering you from asking the Father for the Holy Spirit to be more of your life?
Share about a time when you were aware of the Holy Spirit actively working in your life?
Prayer: Father, help us recognize that though we have received the Holy Spirit in our baptism, the power of His presence often leaks out and we need Your refreshing touch.