BAPTIZED – Week 4
“Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regenerationand renewing of the Holy Spirit,”
Theme: Importance of Baptism
What is the weirdest initiation ritual you ever heard about?
What is most challenging to you from Tyler’s sermon when you think about your own understanding of infant baptism?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Romans 3:9-18, 23 – The Problem of Sin’s Universality
- How do you respond to Paul’s indictment of mankind (verses 9-12)?
- Would you tend to agree or disagree with this description of people (verses 13-14)?
- Why do you think it is important that you personally relate to this assessment (verse 23)?
Read Romans 3: 24-26 – God’s Solution
- What is it that God has done freely for you through Jesus Christ (verse 24)?
- Why do you think God went to the lengths He did concerning your sins (verse 25)?
- How does Paul’s affirmation resonate with you as you think about your life (verse 26)?
- Why is vital that you believe regarding your salvation, that God has done it all for you?
Read Acts 2: 36-41– Our Responsibility
- How do we know that Peter’s words caused a transformation (verses 36-37)?
- What do you think of the promise Peter made to the crowd (verse 38)?
- Why do you think Peter included their children in his invitation (verses 39)?
- How was what happened next a confirmation of what Peter had been saying (verse 40-41)?
- What is one thing that you can take away from the story of Peter on Pentecost?
- How are you going to allow the Holy Spirit to challenge your thinking this week?
- Whatcan you do to make God’s call to consider new possibilities a bigger part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: HeavenlyFather, expand our understanding of all we receive by Your power in regard to our salvation so that we can allow the Holy Spirit to enlighten us regarding our baptism.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
What is your immediate reaction to the Martin Luther quote:
“For to be baptized in the name of God is to be baptized not by men, but by God Himself. Therefore, although it is performed by human hands, it is nevertheless truly God’s own work.”
Read Romans 6: 1-3
What do you find most challenging regarding Paul’s tie between sin and baptism?
Read Romans 6: 4
What in Paul’s tie between baptism and the resurrection is most perplexing to you?
Read Romans 6: 5-7
How might you expand regarding the implied resemblance between baptism and death?
Read Romans 6: 8-11
How was your baptism supposed to serve to confirm what had happened in your salvation?
Read Romans 6: 12-14
What might be hindering you from allowing your baptism to have more of an impact on your life?
Share about a time when you realized that “you did not need to commit sin yourself to feel the
effects of sin going on around you?”
Prayer: Father, help us recognize that through our baptism in Jesus Christ, You break down the barriers that would separate us from others baptized differently from ourselves.