It’s Personal – Week 1
“But set Christ apart as Lord in your hearts and always be ready to give an answer
to anyone who asks about the hope you possess. Yet do it with courtesy and respect.”
Theme: Engaging Our Culture with Grace
Share about a time when you realized that “you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar?”
What was most challenging for you from Pastor Mike’s message when you think about
sharing your faith?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read John 17:15-18 – Jesus’ Prayer
- Why did Jesus pray for our protection from the evil one (verse 15)?
- What do you think Jesus meant by “not being of this world,” and what would that mean for you (verse 16)?
- Why do you think it is difficult for most folks to go as Jesus commanded (verse 18)?
Read2 Corinthians 5:17-20 – Paul’s Reminder
- What do you think Paul means by the “ministry of reconciliation” (verse 18)?
- How might you begin to implement this ministry in your life (verse 19)?
- Why do you think Paul used the image of an ambassador as he did (verse 20)?
- What is one thing that you can take away from Jesus’ prayer and Paul’s comments?
- How are you going to let the concept of reconciliation challenge your thinking this week?
- Whatcan you do to make God’s call to be His ambassador a bigger part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, give us a fresh awareness of what it might mean for us to actually
become ambassadors for You in the world, sharing Your message of reconciliation.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives
this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns
or praises you have.
Share about a time when you realized that “you can catch more flies with honey that you can
What is your immediate reaction to the Mike White’s statement:
“Jesus consistently engaged people, while still telling them to leave their lives of sin.”
Read 1 Peter 3:13. Christ is Lord over our world view and authors how we treat people
Why do you think Peter reminds us regarding other people’s treatment of us?
Read 1 Peter 3:14. We must seek to have a balance of truth and grace
What could Peter mean by our not being terrified or shaken by their response?
Read 1 Peter 3:15. Preparation to give an answer is much more than a passive activity
How might you describe the relationship between preparation and sharing Christ?
Read 1 Peter 3:16. Engage people in healthy dialogue with gentleness and respect
How can you reexamine your approach to confronting others in love rather than judgment?
Prayer: Father, help us accept that You do desire that we be Your agents of reconciliation and
not self-righteous critics of other people’s behavior, to attract and not push them away.