White Space – 1: “Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over … all the earth.”
Theme: God-Mandated Physical Connection
- What was your reaction when Pastor Greg said, “If you pick your phone up first thing in the morning and look at it last thing at night, you may be an addict to technology!”
- Describe the circumstances surrounding you getting your first personal cell phone.
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Deuteronomy 6: 4-9.
- Why do you think Moses begins his exhortation as he does (verse 4)?
- What is the significance of the three-fold charge to the people (verse 5)?
- What relationship do you see between Moses’ command and belief (verse 6)?
- How can doing what Moses suggests help connect us to our children (verses 7-9)?
Read Ephesians 4: 1- 6.
- What do you think Paul meant to “walk worthy of your calling” (verse 1)?
- How do you think you could use white space to do what Paul says (verse 3)?
- What might Paul mean by emphasizing the “ones” that he does (verse 4)?
- How do you relate to these other “ones” mentioned here (verses 5-6)?
- How do you see technology interfering with your maintaining this oneness?
Read Philippians 2: 25-30.
- Which of the five things Paul says about Epaphroditus did you notice (verses 25)?
- Why do you think Paul stresses Epaphroditus’ illness as he does (verses 26-27)?
- Why do you think Paul sent him rather than merely telling of him (verse 28)?
- How is what Paul did work to strengthen their connection (verses 29-30)?
- How are you going to create some time for God and others in your life this week?
- What can you do in your daily life to intentionally make white space part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, please help us to apply the truths of Your word to better connect us to You and the others in our lives, rather than relying on technology to do that for us.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
+ + +
What do you think of the statement that Pastor Greg made:
“The less we are physically connected with people …the more we are isolated in life.”
Read John 15: 9-17. ABIDE (remain, enjoy, stay connected, try to relax)
A – How important to you is it that God has made you to abide in Him (John 15:9)?
B – Why should you be obedient to what God has said if you are to abide in Him (John 15:10)?
I – Why do you think it is important that Christ’s joy remain in you (John 15:11)?
D – What is the connection between knowing and doing what Jesus says (John 15:12-14)?
E – Why is Jesus’ example so powerful when you think about staying connected with others
(John 15: 15-17)?
Share about a time when you were particularly aware of your need for others.
Prayer: Father, give us the conviction that although we may be aware of You and the many other people in our lives, we are not all that connected to You or to them as we should be.