White Space – 2: “Moreover I also gave them My Sabbaths, to be a sign between them and Me, that they might know that I am the Lord who sanctifies them.”
Theme: SABBATH – God-Provided White Space
- Pastor Mark stated: “SABBATH is an opportunity that the Lord gives to us to stop, slow down, back up…so that we can move forward again.” What is your reaction to that statement?
- Growing up, how did your family typically spend Sunday afternoons?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Deuteronomy 5: 12-15. God’s Command
- Why did God command that a day be set aside each week (verses 12-14)?
- Why do you think God reminded the Israelites of their slavery and release (verse 15)?
- How do you think you could use Sabbath white space to do what God says?
Read Mark 2:23-28. God’s Invitation
- Why were the Pharisees so upset with Jesus’ disciples (verses 23-24)?
- What is the significance of the story Jesus refers to about David (verses 25-26)?
- What relationship do you see between Jesus’ reply and your life (verses 27-28)?
- How are you going to attempt to create a Sabbath observance in your life this week?
- What can you do in your life to make Sabbath white space part of your lifestyle?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, please help us to apply the truths of Your word to better utilize the concept of Sabbath that You have provided for us, so we can replenish our lives.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own live this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
+ + +
What do you think of the statement that Pastor Mark made:
“To keep the Sabbath requires discipline and planning?”
A. The Sabbath is not just a good idea—it’s one of the Ten Commandments!
Read Exodus 20: 8-11
How important is it to you that God designed the Sabbath as a memorial (verse 8)?
Why should you listen to what God has said if you are to observe the Sabbath (verse 9-10)?
What do you think is significant about God blessing the seventh day as He did (verse 11)?
B. Keeping the Sabbath is an invitation into a day of delight!
Read Matthew 12: 8-12
What does it mean that Jesus declared Himself to be “Lord of the Sabbath” (verse 8)?
Why is Jesus’ example so powerful when you think about what you might do (verse 9-12)?
C. Share about a time when you tried to keep the Sabbath; how did that go?
Prayer:Father, give us the conviction that it is important that we are obedient to what You have commanded, so we can enter into the full Sabbath delight You intended for us.