Invested – 2: “I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you.”
Theme: Let’s Invest Right Here – Rootfulness Produces Fruitfulness
- Pastor Roger asked: “What are the riches of God’s glorious inheritance?” How would you answer that question?
- Describe a time growing up, when you saved your money so you could have something you wanted.
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read John 17:1-12.
- What do you think Jesus meant by His definition of eternal life (verses 1-3)?
- What distinction did Jesus make between those He was praying for (verses 9-10)?
- Why is important that you understand all that Jesus did for you (verses 11-12)?
Read Colossians 2:6-10.
- Which of the five things Paul mentions is most important to you (verse 7)?
- How might one of the four things Paul includes get you side-tracked (verse 8)?
- How would centering on Jesus as your authority keep you anchored (verses 9-10)?
Read 2 Corinthians 8:9-12.
- What does Paul say was the reason Jesus became poor (verse 9)?
- How does Paul use this concept of completing a desire (verses 10-11)?
- How does the way you accomplish a task show your thankful heart to others?
- How are you going to reevaluate strengthening your roots this week?
- What can you do to make spending time with God first a bigger part of your life?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, open the eyes of our hearts to recognize all the bounty You have rained down on us that we do not deserve, but that You grace us with in Christ Jesus.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can Join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
+ + +
Pastor Roger said, “It is rootfulness that produces fruitfulness in your life.”
How would you state what he meant by this statement in your own words?
Read Ephesians 1:17 – Spirit of Wisdom
Why do you think this was the first thing Paul prayed for the Ephesians?
Read Ephesians 1:18 – Enlightened Eyes
Why do you think it is so important that God opens your eyes to see His truth?
Read Ephesians 1:18 – Glorious Riches
How might your understanding of God’s riches toward you make you more generous?
Read Ephesians 1:22-23 – Christ’s Headship
Why do you think Paul chose to end this passage in this way?
Share one particular benefit you feel you receive by daily spending time with God.
Prayer: HeavenlyFather, show us how we can daily let the roots of our faith go deeper into the truth of Your word, so we can draw up more of Your great power to those of us who believe.