It’s Complicated – 1: “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”
Theme: It’s Complicated – Tamar and Judah
- Tyler stated: “God works through the actions and decisions of His people.’ How do you respond to that statement?
- Describe a time when you knew that there was something you were supposed to do, but you just did not do it. What were the results?
Observation and Interpretation Questions:
Read Matthew 1:1-3. Jesus’ Genealogy – Impressive Introduction
- What is the purpose of a genealogy when describing an important person?
- Why would Matthew begin his gospel of Jesus the King with a genealogy (verse 1)?
- What do you think was his rationale for including “by Tamar” (verses 2-3)?
Read Deuteronomy 25:5-10 – Levirate Marriage – Legal Precedent
- Why was this law in effect for the children of Israel (verses 5-6)?
- How was a widow to gain protection under this law for herself (verse 7)?
- What were the elders supposed to do to the non-complying brother (verses 8-10)?
Read Genesis 38: 5-26. Judah and Tamar – Family Historical Situation
- How would you summarize Judah’s actions regarding Tamar (verses 5-11)?
- Would you describe Tamar’s actions to “trick” Judah as justified (verses 12-19)?
- How do you think Judah felt when he realized the woman was gone (verses 20-23)?
- What were Judah’s emotions when Tamar’s pregnancy was revealed (verse 24)?
- How do Judah’s final responses show his respect for Tamar (verses 25-26)?
- Why is it important that you understand all this background regarding Tamar and Judah?
- How would you say that Judah’s actions almost interfered with God’s plan?
- How are you going to begin to prepare your heart for Christmas this week?
- What can you do to make the celebration of Advent a bigger part of your life?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, open the eyes of our hearts to recognize in this Advent season that in Christ Jesus You are bigger than anything we might feel is too complicated for us.
Talk and Pray with one another about how you can join Jesus on His mission in your own lives this week, using the questions on the back, and pray for one another about any personal concerns or praises you have.
+ + +
Tyler said, “’It’s complicated’ is often just an excuse for us not to do anything.”
And “We either overestimate or underestimate our responsibility.”
How would you state what he meant by either statement in your own words?
Read Acts 2:22 – Jesus’ Qualifications
Why do you think this was the beginning of Peter’s appeal at Pentecost?
Read Acts 2:23 – God’s Plan + Human Actions
How did man’s actions and God’s plan work together for Jesus to die?
Read Acts 2:24 – God’s Glorious Resurrection
How might your understanding of God’s power to overrule your actions help you?
Read Ephesians 2:5 – God’s Powerful Greatness
What might be one result for you when you acknowledge God’s great power?
Read Ephesians 2:8-10 – God’s Far-reaching Purpose
Why do you think Paul chose to remind us of these facts regarding our responsibility?
Share one thing your family does at Advent to prepare for the coming of Christmas?
Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us to be thankful that You include all the details of our lives in Your grand plan for us, and give us grace to overcome any complications we might encounter.